Brandywine Hundred (also known as North Wilmington) is located to the north and northeast of the city of Wilmington. Hundreds were once used as a basis for representation in the Delaware General Assembly. Brandywine Hundred and North Wilmington are commonly used colloquial names for this area. However, while their names still appear on all real estate transactions, all other hundreds in Delaware presently have no meaningful use or purpose except as a geographical point of reference. Brandywine Hundred was one of the original hundreds in Delaware created in 1682 and was named for Brandywine Creek that flows along its western boundary.
Excepting a still wooded area along Brandywine Creek, the area is completely suburban with almost continuous commercial and residential development. The eastern portion was built out early in the twentieth century with the remainder in the decades following World War II. The town of Bellefonte, the villages of Arden, Ardencroft, and Ardentown, the Claymont and Edgemoor Census Designated Places (CDP), and the community of Talleyville are in Brandywine Hundred. In recent decades the Hundred has become a major edge city of Philadelphia due in part to Delaware General Corporation Law.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.